Delicious French onion soup recipe
French onion soup is a thin soup which originated in Franch. It is also a special soup. This soup is extremely popular on the luncheon, dinner, and a la carte menu.
Equipment that used to make French onion soup
1. Stock pot, 5 gal.
2. French knife.
3. Qt. measure.
4. Baker’s scale.
5. Wood Paddle.
6. 3 gal. container for holding soup.
7. Ladle or skimmer
Ingredients of French onion soup
Approx. yield: 3 gal.
1. 12 ozs. butter.
2. 3 qts. onions, cut julienne.
3. 1 1/2 gal. beef stock.
4. 1 1/2 gal. chicken stock.
5. 6 ozs. sherry wine (optional)
6. Salt and pepper to taste.
Method of making French onion soup
1. Place the butter in a stock pot, hot at a moderate temperature until melted.
2. Add the onions and sauté until they begin to color.
3. Add the hot stocks and stir, using the wooden paddle.
4. Bring back to a boil, reduce heat ark, simmer for about 1 hour. Remove scum if any appears with a ladle or skimmer.
5. Season with salt and pepper and pour into a 3 gal. container.
6. Add wine if desired and serve with cheese croutons and grated Parmesan cheese.
Precautions and Safety Measures
1. When sauteing the onions do not burn them. A light brown color is desired.
2. Simmer throughout the cooking period so the stocks will not cloud.